Using Pinterest to Promote your Blog

pinterest

Look at that picture above. You can clearly see how my blog’s traffic in January (which isn’t over yet) is almost double the traffic I got in December. Not much changed between December and January, so how did I nearly double my blog’s traffic? In one word: pinterest. I’ve always pinned my blog posts on pinterest but wasn’t really sure I was getting any return on that investment. Then, I started noticing that a significant amount of my blog traffic was coming from pinterest. I decided to be more intentional about utilizing it. I’m still very much figuring pinterest out from a blogging perspective but I thought I’d share a few tips.

pinterest tips

What really prompted my uptick in traffic was having a town that hosts a winter marathon pin one of my blog posts on tips for cold weather running. That pin was repinned a bunch of times and directed a serious amount of traffic to my blog for almost two weeks. By being diligent about pinning your posts, you are setting yourself up for success! Be patient — it took months before I started to notice reliable traffic from Pinterest – but it was well worth it :)

Do you pin your blog posts? Why or why not?

Quick note, if you follow me on facebook, you have may noticed that I’ve entered a contest to be chosen as an inspiration blogger. The contest is run by Zooma Women’s Race Series and the price is a free trip to run Zooma Napa Valley for me + A READER! It’s kind of a long shot for me, since bloggers with much bigger followings are entered, but if you would be so kind as to vote for me, I’d really appreciate it. Just follow this link and make sure you click on my picture to vote. You can vote 1x a day until 2.24!

23 Comments on Using Pinterest to Promote your Blog

• cdredden@gmail.com
      January 23, 2014 at 2:12 pm (8 months ago)

Yes, it can really be a great driver for traffic!

1. Meranda@fairytalesandfitness
    January 23, 2014 at 8:26 am (8 months ago)

I’ll vote for you for sure! I was using pinterest regularly for a while and never saw a difference in traffic so I haven’t been real dedicated to it. I have some Pin worthy posts now, so I think I should get back to trying it again. I do have the pin it button on my pictures though (although I doubt anyone uses it)!
    Meranda@fairytalesandfitness recently posted…Green DawgMy Profile

• cdredden@gmail.com
        January 23, 2014 at 2:16 pm (8 months ago)

You just never know… :)

• cdredden@gmail.com
      January 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks for the vote! Stick with it and you might be surprised!

• cdredden@gmail.com
      January 23, 2014 at 2:16 pm (8 months ago)

Likewise! Pinterest may take awhile to pick up but once you start getting traffic it can be great!!

• cdredden@gmail.com
      January 23, 2014 at 2:17 pm (8 months ago)

Haha, I know, right??!

2. Chaitali
    January 23, 2014 at 9:41 am (8 months ago)

I love your blogging tips! I never even thought about pinning blog posts on pinterest so this was really helpful. I’ve pretty much just been using it for recipes and home decor stuff.
    Chaitali recently posted…Races planned for 2014My Profile

• cdredden@gmail.com
      January 23, 2014 at 2:18 pm (8 months ago)

Glad this was helpful :) Let me know if you ever have something specifically you’d like me to blog about!

3. Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?!
    January 23, 2014 at 1:05 pm (8 months ago)

I started using Pinterest recently and learned to make better graphics (I had so much fun making the one for today’s post!) and have noticed some traffic coming from Pinterest. Spreading it out though – I hadn’t really thought through that. I pinned the same post to 3 different boards in a row, and of course it makes sense to have it spread out so people will see it who might not at that one moment. Thanks for the tips!
    Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?! recently posted…Disney Glass Slipper Challenge 30 Day Countdown Quiz!My Profile

• cdredden@gmail.com
      January 23, 2014 at 2:19 pm (8 months ago)

Yeah, I’ve pinned the same thing to multiple boards but try and do a morning / afternoon / evening schedule for the pinning. Which does take work, but can result in a great spike in traffic.

4. Betsy
    January 23, 2014 at 1:07 pm (8 months ago)

I might have to look into pinning. Do you happen to know if there is a pinterest plug in for blogger?
    Betsy recently posted…WW: Eight Things I’ve SaidMy Profile

• cdredden@gmail.com
      January 23, 2014 at 2:21 pm (8 months ago)

Glad you enjoyed the tips!

5. Preshii @ The Coily Bombshell
    January 23, 2014 at 1:13 pm (8 months ago)

Hmmm I am just not a pinteresthead even though I have the app on all devices lol. I have heard it can get good traffic. Maybe I shall give it a go again and really put in the effort to pin post daily ! Thx for the tips and sure will vote for you!
    Preshii @ The Coily Bombshell recently posted…What’s your WHY?!My Profile

• cdredden@gmail.com
      January 23, 2014 at 2:21 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks for the vote — and I’d encourage you to give it a shot! The potential benefits to your blog are worth it!

6. Jennifer
    January 23, 2014 at 9:24 pm (8 months ago)

Courtney -thanks for the Pinterest tips! How timely, I was just chatting with a friend of mine today and she also suggested Pinterest. On the To Do List!
    Jennifer recently posted…I’m Back + and Butternut Squash Hummus!My Profile