Using Pinterest to Promote your Blog

pinterest

Look at that picture above. You can clearly see how my blog’s traffic in January (which isn’t over yet) is almost double the traffic I got in December. Not much changed between December and January, so how did I nearly double my blog’s traffic? In one word: pinterest. I’ve always pinned my blog posts on pinterest but wasn’t really sure I was getting any return on that investment. Then, I started noticing that a significant amount of my blog traffic was coming from pinterest. I decided to be more intentional about utilizing it. I’m still very much figuring pinterest out from a blogging perspective but I thought I’d share a few tips.

pinterest tips

What really prompted my uptick in traffic was having a town that hosts a winter marathon pin one of my blog posts on tips for cold weather running. That pin was repinned a bunch of times and directed a serious amount of traffic to my blog for almost two weeks. By being diligent about pinning your posts, you are setting yourself up for success! Be patient — it took months before I started to notice reliable traffic from Pinterest – but it was well worth it :)

Do you pin your blog posts? Why or why not?

Quick note, if you follow me on facebook, you have may noticed that I’ve entered a contest to be chosen as an inspiration blogger. The contest is run by Zooma Women’s Race Series and the price is a free trip to run Zooma Napa Valley for me + A READER! It’s kind of a long shot for me, since bloggers with much bigger followings are entered, but if you would be so kind as to vote for me, I’d really appreciate it. Just follow this link and make sure you click on my picture to vote. You can vote 1x a day until 2.24!

Comments

1. 3

says

I’ll vote for you for sure! I was using pinterest regularly for a while and never saw a difference in traffic so I haven’t been real dedicated to it. I have some Pin worthy posts now, so I think I should get back to trying it again. I do have the pin it button on my pictures though (although I doubt anyone uses it)!
    Meranda@fairytalesandfitness recently posted…Green DawgMy Profile

• 8

cdredden@gmail.com says

Likewise! Pinterest may take awhile to pick up but once you start getting traffic it can be great!!

• 12

cdredden@gmail.com says

Glad this was helpful :) Let me know if you ever have something specifically you’d like me to blog about!

2. 13

says

I started using Pinterest recently and learned to make better graphics (I had so much fun making the one for today’s post!) and have noticed some traffic coming from Pinterest. Spreading it out though – I hadn’t really thought through that. I pinned the same post to 3 different boards in a row, and of course it makes sense to have it spread out so people will see it who might not at that one moment. Thanks for the tips!
    Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?! recently posted…Disney Glass Slipper Challenge 30 Day Countdown Quiz!My Profile

• 14

cdredden@gmail.com says

Yeah, I’ve pinned the same thing to multiple boards but try and do a morning / afternoon / evening schedule for the pinning. Which does take work, but can result in a great spike in traffic.

• 21

cdredden@gmail.com says

Thanks for the vote — and I’d encourage you to give it a shot! The potential benefits to your blog are worth it!