Happy New Year! First of all, I want to say that I hope everyone had a very fun and safe night last night and are hopefully feeling great on New Year’s Day. Hubby and I watched the Alabama game (which Alabama hopefully won – I’m typing this before Thursday night) and just relaxed. It was lovely. I am linking up with my friends Cynthia and Mar – head over to my Friday Five page because we’ve changed the format a bit for the new year. Accordingly, this week’s topic is fitness. I’m going to share my racing plans for the year and what I’m thinking in terms of running for 2016. Of course, this is subject to change and a lot of it is based on things out of my control (race lotteries, etc.). If you are thinking about goals as we enter the new year, check out my post on goal setting and sign up for support and encouragement to help you reach your goals this year! Now on to the running talk!
- My basic plan for the year is to have both a spring goal race and a fall goal race and then to fill my calendar with other races for fun. My spring goal race is the Shamrock Half Marathon. I’m currently training to go sub2 at this race in March. You can read my first training recap here and look for them each Sunday evening or Monday morning (depending on the week and if I run Sunday morning or evening).
- As for that fall goal race, that is up in the air. I don’t think I’ve formally announced yet that I will be entering the lottery for the Chicago marathon. I’m really hopeful that I will get in and get to experience racing in Chicago. I have been running in Chicago (while on work travel) for a few years and always have the best runs there. I’m really hoping to get to run the marathon in a city I really enjoy!
- I will be running a number of shorter races over the next few months to get miles in and just because it’s fun. I actually ran a New Year’s Eve 10k and will be running a New Year’s Day 5k if I can wake up early (no promises). Then I’m running a ten mile race next weekend. After my ten miler, I have no races on the calendar until after Shamrock. However, that may change!
- After my spring goal half marathon, I’ve got a few races lined up. I’ll be running the Crystal City 5k series (a 5K every Friday in April) in addition to the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler (one of my favorites!) and revisiting the Northface Marathon Relay – and that’s just April.
- After April, my calendar is really open. I’ll probably take a little break before starting serious marathon training in June. What happens if I don’t make it into Chicago? I’m not exactly sure. I’d love to go back and run Wineglass again. I really loved that race. I’m also signed up for Richmond (the full) but I have a wedding in DC that day, so will most likely drop down to the half. I wouldn’t rule out a new to me fall marathon either. I’ll just have to see!
I’m really excited about 2016 and can’t wait to see what the year brings!
What are your racing plans for 2016?