Sometimes you just want to order out for dinner. Nothing will do but Chinese takeout. I often feel that way, but try to be judicious in my ordering out expenses and will happily cook instead if I can. Tuesday night found me with a thawed chicken thigh, a frozen bag of mixed veggies and rice. I decided to throw all that together for a healthier version of chicken fried rice.
- First, cook your rice. I use minute rice, so this process only takes about ten minutes.
- While your rice is cooking, chop and season your chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cook your chicken on the stove top until it’s fully cooked. If you chopped it into bite sized pieces, this should only take about 5 minutes, max.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cook your mixed veggies until they are done.
- Add everything back in! Pop in your chicken, your rice and a healthy splash of low sodium soy sauce. Reduce the heat, and let everything simmer for a few minutes.
- DONE! Enjoy your homemade chicken fried rice!
Note there is no egg in this recipe. That’s because I hate eggs. But lots of people don’t, so if you are one of them, you should add egg!
What’s your favorite quick dinner? Are you an egg fan or are you odd like me? 🙂