We’ve finally made it to the end of the week, and I for one, could not be happier. Remember that we have a new Friday Five format this year and our theme of the third Friday is favorites. I thought I’d switch it up a bit and talk about five favorite jobs that I’ve had over my career. I’ve been working since I was 14 years old and always loved the thrill of making my own money and learning new skills. Don’t forget to check out Cynthia and Mar and some of the other folks who link up with us – and please don’t forget to link to your hosts if you are participating! Have a great weekend!
- My first job. My first job was at an ice skating rink. I ran the admissions counter and it was so fun. The figure skaters and ice hockey players taught me to skate and I really loved that job. A great first job! (I’m not counting babysitting!)
- My last job. Before I started at my current company, I ran a legal diversity pipeline program where I trained lawyers to go into high schools and teach them about the law. Loved it. So fun and so rewarding and so important. I would also add that my current job is pretty amazing and I’m counting that as well.
- Waiting tables. I waited tables through high school and college and loved it. I think you learn so much waiting tables. You learn about not judging a book by its cover, you learn about patience, time management and the ability to smile through it all because your salary depends on it. As a side note, I have a true disdain for people who are poor tippers. In my mind there’s no excuse.
- Adjunct Professor. I have taught two different courses as an adjunct professor. It was so awesome and such a great experience getting to share my knowledge and experiences with others. Teaching is hard but I loved it!
- My next job. Thought this was as good a time as any to share with y’all that I’ll be starting a new job in a couple weeks. I wasn’t looking but this job kind of came to me and it’s a dream: I’ll be the Diversity & Inclusion Manager at a large law firm. I’m so excited and can’t wait to get started. I’m so fortunate in that I’ve had so many great jobs and great bosses and great learning opportunities and I can’t wait for this next adventure! For those curious, the job is here in DC but I will be back in an office so that will require a little bit of an adjustment but in a good way. I will be sure to let you all know how it goes once I get going!
Which of your previous jobs was your favorite?