On Sunday, I was dying to finally try out a couple of recipes that I pinned on Pinterest a long time ago and never made. I got a late start to dinner so decided to try a couple of things that would be relatively quick and easy. I made chicken friend rice and cheddar biscuits (Red Lobster style). Both dishes turned out wonderful. Check them out below.
The chicken fried rice was so easy that I may never order it delivery again. Okay, maybe never is a bit strong. But, seriously, it was so tasty and simple to do that there’s no excuse for ordering the fat and oil laden version.
2 cups prepared rice (I used long grain brown rice)
1 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper (could use leftover cooked chicken)
1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
2 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 teaspoons sesame or wok oil, divided
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1. Whisk egg with 1 teaspoon oil in a small dish then set aside.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add seasoned chicken then stir fry until cooked through and remove to a plate. (If using pre-cooked chicken, skip this step.)
3. Heat remaining teaspoon oil in the wok then add frozen mixed vegetables and green onions. Stir fry until tender, about 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Push vegetables to the side of the wok then add egg and sesame oil mixture into the center and scramble.
4. Add cooked chicken, rice, and soy sauce to wok then toss well to combine.
See the recipe online here.
I also made Red Lobster-style Cheddar Biscuits! I was nervous about making these because those dang biscuits at Red Lobster are my favorite and if mine didn’t taste well, I was going to cry. No worries about that. When these came out of the oven, K asked “I just don’t understand how you learned to cook like this?” I just smiled and let him wonder. 🙂
- 2-½ cups Bisquick
- 4 Tablespoons Cold Butter
- 1 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Heaping
- ¾ cups Cold Whole Milk
- ¼ teaspoons Garlic Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted (to Brush On Top)
- ½ teaspoons Flat Leaf Italian Parsley, Chopped Finely (to Brush On Top)
- ½ teaspoons Garlic Salt (to Brush On Top)
In a large bowl, add your Bisquick with your butter and using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the Bisquick. There should still be small bits of butter throughout the mixture, about the size of peas. Add in cheese, milk and garlic salt. Mix until just combined.
Using a cookie or ice cream scoop, drop 1/4-cup portions of mix onto an ungreased cookie sheet. There should be a dozen biscuits when you are done.
Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree (F) oven for 15-17 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits turn a light brown. As soon as the biscuits come out of the oven, melt your remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter in the microwave and stir in your parsley and garlic salt, then brush mixture over all of the biscuits.
See the recipe online here.
It feels good to actually make some of the recipes I’m constantly pinning. Yay!