Some of you may have seen my recent review of the meal delivery service Blue Apron recently. I was excited to try out Blue Apron but concluded that it was not for our family. You will recall that I said that Blue Apron simply wasn’t how I cook. The meal took too long to make, there were no leftovers and it required a lot of cleanup. Well, I recently had an opportunity to try out ScratchDC, which is another meal delivery service (but local to the DC area), and I was interested to see how they compared. Read on for my ScratchDC review. note: I received a ScratchDC meal free of charge from a blogger event I attended recently. I was not asked specifically to blog about my experience but wanted to share my thoughts particularly since I wasn’t that impressed with Blue Apron. All thoughts and opinions are mine.
ScratchDC works with locally sourced ingredients to prep delicous meals that are then delivered to your home or office. So, what makes Scratch different than Blue Apron? Here are a few ways:
- ScratchDC lets you choose each and every meal you want. I was thrilled that ScratchDC works with the customer going to the website and specifically choosing a meal they want. No dealing with something that someone in your house won’t eat – you are picking the meal yourself. This was really great and not an option with Blue Apron (I have heard that you can choose what you’d like with Blue Apron after your first order, but I wasn’t able to choose a meal so I can’t confirm that).
- Same day delivery, y’all. Yes! I ordered our meal – chicken caprese with asparagus at 11am Monday morning. It was on my doorstep at 3:45pm that same day. AND they texted me to let me know it was coming and to confirm that it had been delivered. That I really appreciated!
- Local food. In the box was fun instructions AND a list of where all the food was from. As we are trying very hard to eat local as much as we can, I really appreciated this info.
- On time delivery. I mentioned delivery above, but our Blue Apron meal was delivered after 9pm – I found that to be ridiculous. Having ScratchDC deliver, ya know, before dinnertime was kinda amazing.
- Simple preparation. My main gripe with Blue Apron was it just took too dang long to make the meal. Each time I made a Blue Apron meal, I was cooking/prepping/chopping for around 45 minutes. Ain’t nobody got time for that. With our ScratchDC meal, dinner was on the table in less than 20 minutes. That’s what I’m talking about, y’all.
- Free dessert! With every ScratchDC meal, you get two little balls of cookie dough! Total win. I of course, didn’t cook ours and also didn’t tell K about them. #Sorrynotsorry. Some things are just for the lady of the house. 🙂
ScratchDC really wowed me. After I posted about Blue Apron, a couple folks shared a few horror stories about wrong orders, orders that just didn’t come and the like. I’m really glad that I tried ScratchDC and while it is more expensive than Blue Apron (our meal retails for $28), it’s a service that fits into my life much better and I’m pretty sure I’ll be ordering the Hoisin Glazed Salmon in a couple of weeks because it just looks amazing. I mean, look at the ingredients. It’s like all my favorite things. Yes, please.
If you are in the DC area and eager to try ScratchDC, use promo code EATPRAYRUNDC for $15 off your order. I really hope you’ll be as pleased with it as I was! This isn’t something we’ll do all the time but in a pinch or for a special night, we will absolutely use ScratchDC again!
What do you think? Are the perks of ScratchDC worth the cost?