I haven’t done a Blogger Tip Tuesday in awhile so I thought I’d slip one in this week. I thought I’d share just a few tips on how to grow your blog. It seems that everyone is always trying for bigger and better on the blogging front (myself included), and so here are a few ideas on how to do so. I am by no means a BIG time blogger, but I’ve been able to slowly grow my blog through a few intentional actions.
- Engage. I see a lot of newer bloggers posting on facebook blogging communities and their questions usually go like this: “I’ve been blogging for _ years/months/days and I only have five followers. What am I doing wrong?” The answer is most likely engagement. I’ve discussed before how important your blogger tribe is. Start there and then keep going. Engage with people. Visit their blogs, follow them on social media and start developing relationships. I return over and over again to my favorite bloggers because of the relationship we’ve built, which starts with engagement.
- Be consistent. Decide how many days that you are going to post and stick to that. Of course, life happens. But if you are trying to go and build an audience they need to know when to expect your posts. I don’t think it matters much how often you post (but if you’re curious how I post 5x a week, here’s the answer) but rather how consistent you are in your posting.
- Promote other bloggers. I know that sounds like it defeats the purpose — but hear me out. When someone retweets or shares one of my blog posts on Twitter, I make it a point to check them out. I’ll follow them on Twitter, if I’m not already and I’ll go click around their blog. If I like their content, I’ll add them to my Bloglovin’ feed. All as a result of them promoting me. I’ve found that this is generally the case with most bloggers. The key here is to genuinely promote a post you connected with.
- Be proactive. Don’t just wait around for people to find your blog. Go comment on other blogs, join blogging communities (and don’t just join and ask “why isn’t my blog growing” — offer your tips and insight, answer other bloggers questions, be ACTIVE), try out a Twitter chat. Get out there and start engaging!
- Be patient. This isn’t really a tip, but I’m including it anyway. Don’t expect to have an offer to turn your blog into a book overnight. Focus on quality and be patient. If you try out the tips outlined in this post, I promise you, your blog will grow. Will it always grow at the breakneck speed you’d like? No, probably not. But it will grow!
What are your tips on how to grow your blog? Share in the comments.