Guest posting is a fun way to introduce yourself to a new audience and to help out a blogger who may need guest posters because they are traveling or they just like to feature new voices. If you have the chance to be a guest poster, you should spend a bit of time thinking about how to be a great guest poster.
- Write a post that is original and will interest the audience you’re reaching. This is just my personal preference, but I don’t want a guest poster just copying and pasting something from their site — I want my readers to have the chance to read new material. It’s also nice if you put some thought into who you are writing for.
- SHARE the guest post – I have had a guest poster who didn’t once share the post on their networks or channels. Needless to say, I won’t be asking this particular person to guest post again. If you are taking the time to craft a post, why wouldn’t you want it shared?
- Make it easy for the blogger you are guesting for — send the post in a word doc, attach pictures, send a short bio. My guest posters did an AWESOME job of this and I appreciated it so much.
- Reply back to comments that your guest post receives. I loved looking at guest posts and seeing my guest posters engaging with readers. I think this also garnered my guest posters many new readers who were anxious to consider the conversation.
- If you’d like to guest post again, make sure to stay in touch with the blogger you guest posted for! There are so many ways to connect — facebook, twitter, google+, etc. You should definitely be following them on social media already, but stay connected! You never know — someday you might want them to guest post for you!
What tips would you add on being a great guest poster?