Hey y’all! It’s another Blogger Tip Tuesday and today I wanted to lay out some concrete tips about how to join a linkup without messing it up or upsetting your linkup hosts. As most of y’all know, I co-host a weekly linkup (the Friday Five) with Cynthia and Mar. We love hosting The Friday Five and are so proud of how much the linkup has grown (we had almost 40 blogs link up last Friday!). We get a number of questions about how to linkup and linkup etiquette so I thought I’d write a more general post about how to properly join a linkup! There are many great linkups out there – I participate in a couple outside of the one I host and I always try to make sure I’m following the rules.
- Turn off CAPTCHA. PLEASE. I’ve talked before about how awful captcha is but when you are participating in a linkup you REALLY want to make it easy for folks to comment. Many people just won’t comment if they have to jump through hoops like captcha. Please just turn it off for the day of the linkup if you can’t bear to get rid of it forever (but seriously, get rid of it and watch the number of comments you get rise!).
- Since we’re talking about captcha, it’s also a good idea to disable anything you have that requires people to sign up for something to comment. Most people don’t want to do this and simply get annoyed. As a host, I like to comment on each blog linked up. But requiring me to sign up for disqus or some other thing just isn’t cool!
- Link back to your hosts. Not doing this is just rude. And will most likely upset your host and maybe even lead to your link being deleted. Your hosts put in the work to create the linkup — linking back to them is the least you can do!
- Follow the rules. For the linkup I cohost the rules are simple: link up a Friday Five post (or any other post from that Friday). However I can’t tell you the number of people who just link up to their blog, not a specific post. When it happens every week, it’s very annoying and we’ve started deleting links that do the same offenses week after week.
- Check out other links. Again, it’s just good manners. Don’t link up every week but never visit anyone else’s blog.
What am I missing? If you host a linkup – what bugs you?