Hopefully by now, you all are well aware that on Fridays, I host a linkup along with Mar of Mar on the Run and Cynthia of You Signed Up for What. We call it the Friday Five and it’s really grown in the few months we’ve been hosting it. I thought for this week’s Blogger Tips Tuesday, I’d share how the linkup came about and some tips if you are thinking of starting your own.
In October, I put out a call on facebook for bloggers who would be interested in cohosting a Friday Five linkup with me. I’d already been doing a Friday Five for a few weeks, but thought that if I got a few more people to cohost it would improve the linkup and just be more fun. Both Mar and Cynthia reached out and through many many amazing email chains, the DC Trifecta was born. We’ve done a lot of trial and error while figuring this out and the great thing is it’s just been a lot of fun. The three of us are now each others’ biggest supporters and I’ve already blogged about how much I love having these women in my blogging tribe. Here are a few things I’ve learned along the way:
- Choose your cohosts carefully. I got so lucky that two amazing women were interested in hosting with me. We are in pretty regular contact talking about the linkup, coming up with themes, sharing ideas and just chatting. I can’t imagine doing this with folks who aren’t awesome — so choose wisely!
- Before you launch your linkup, think of a few themes! Obviously, our broad theme is the Friday Five. However, we’ve found that folks really like more guidance than that and our best weeks have been when we’ve had a themed edition. It can be tough to think of themes on the spot (hence some of our Friday Fives with no theme), so if you can think of some ahead of time, that’ll be helpful and appreciated by your readers!
- Once you have chosen a theme, let the world know! Blast it on your social media feeds. When your cohosts post it, retweet and share their posts — get it out there so people can get their posts ready to link up!
- Make a point to visit and comment on each person’s blog who has linked up. Not doing so is totally bad blogger etiquette! I like to visit everyone and comment on their post that they linked up and thank them for linking up (if they are newbies).
- Visit other linkups and see what they do well to get some tips. I have been linking up with a Wedding Wednesday linkup and I love visiting other linkups to see fun things they do.
By the way, we use the site InLinkz to host our linkup and I recommend it — it’s super simply and I don’t know of any other site that does it better! Speaking of the Friday Five linkup, this Friday our theme is spring forward. Write about what you are looking forward to with spring on the horizon (it’s coming, I promise!), write about what you enjoy about spring, write about five spring races you are running, go crazy!
Do you host a linkup? Share in the comments so we can check it out!