So, now that it’s March, that means that the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler is about six weeks away! It occurred to me that I should come up with some type of training plan. I’m not trying to PR Cherry Blossom but I do want to have a strong race. I worked backwards from race day to come up with a plan that kept me at 3-4 runs a week (which will give me time to start swimming hopefully, and of course Pure Barre). It’s pretty laid back and my goal with Cherry Blossom is to just build up mileage. I want to be at a steady 20ish mile a week base before I start marathon training this summer.
Here’s my (somewhat rough) Cherry Blossom Ten Miler Training Plan:
- Week 1: This is week 1. I’ll run 3 easy runs and a DC Road Runners 10k on Sunday morning. I won’t be racing, just using the race to get some mileage in.
- Week 2: 3 runs, one incorporating fartleks and a weekend run of 4-6 miles.
- Week 3: Two weekday runs plus a weekend trail run with my local Oiselle team gals. Super exciting!
- Week 4: Four runs total, with the weekend run totaling 8 miles.
- Week 5: Three runs, with the weekend run a 90 minute trail run with Potomac River Running.
- CB Week: two easy runs, and then RACE DAY!
The weekday runs will range from 3-5 miles and for the most part be easy with some speedwork thrown in depending on how my shins and ankles are feeling. I plan to add in some morning swims soon, too! Plus, of course Pure Barre (lots of Pure Barre) four to five times a week. I am excited to see how the race goes even with my more laid back training plan. I’ll be recapping my progress on the blog so stay tuned to see how my laid back, self designed training plan for Cherry Blossom goes!
Are you running Cherry Blossom? (if not and you are local, try the St Charles Running Festival)