Over the weekend, I wanted to finally use some drumsticks that had been hanging out in my freezer for awhile. I decided I wanted them to be crunchy but just could not get down with the idea of frying something since it was so.stinking.hot outside! I also in general hate frying and try to avoid it any way that I can. I found a great recipe on pinterest to find some inspiration and based my chicken recipe on this post from Zoom Yummy.
I did, however, make a good number of changes to the original recipe so here’s what I did below:
- 1/2 c almonds (or another nut)
- a few slices of bread (stale is best, but any bread will do)
- your favorite seasonings (I used paprika, salt, pepper, and a cajun spice)
- 1 egg
- 2 tb ketchup
- 4-7 drumsticks
How to put all this together:
- Make your crust for the chicken by breaking the bread slices in two pieces and throwing the bread and almonds into a blender or food processor until it has a crumb like consistency.
- Take the bread crumbs and put them in a large ziplock bag and then add seasonings. Shake to combine.
- Crack the egg in a bowl and add the ketchup and mix.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Cook for about 35 minutes on 375.
I served this with sauteed swiss chard (super easy and quick – it literally took 4 minutes) and home made mashed potatoes (recipe here). It was excellent. The chicken was crispy and crunchy and best of all, healthy. If you like crunchy chicken but hate frying, try this!
What’s your favorite way to cook chicken? Do you ever make swiss chard?