Hi, y’all! With Memorial Day weekend on the rise, I hope that in the middle of all the fun, we’ll take a minute to remember the men and women who so bravely serve and served our country. As the daughter of an Air Force veteran, holidays like this always carry special meaning for me. Thank you, dad and thank you all for your service! Now for our regularly scheduled programming, this week the Friday Five is sharing five favorite summer fruits and veggies. I just shared about why I love shopping local at my farmer’s market so talking about my favorite fresh summer produce was a natural follow up post for me! Per usual, I’m linking up with my girls Cynthia and Mar for the #Friday Five. You can read our linkup rules here. Please note that if you don’t play nicely, we will delete your link.
- Blueberries. Last summer began my obsession with fresh blueberries. I just could not get enough. I throw them in salads, cereal, oatmeal and just eat them alone. Yum.
- Strawberries. Oh do I love strawberry season. Is anything better that a juicy sweet strawberry? Not much, in my opinion. We are this close to strawberry season in DC and I’m keeping an eye on my favorite local farms because once they have berries, I will be going to pick them. Love love love them.
- Peaches. Ahhhhhhh. I have to say, my favorite peaches are Georgia peaches but I’ll take any peach from a farm as a close second. Try this blueberry peach cobbler if you want to know my favorite thing to do with those fruits.
- Tomatoes. Okay, maybe I’ve found something that might be a teeny tiny bit better than a juicy sweet strawberry. A juicy summer tomato. I mean, seriously. A fresh tomato is a revelation if you’ve never had one. I can.not.wait.
- Spinach. I had a bundle of red spinach from my farmer’s market about a week ago and it was so delightful. I put spinach in everything as well – salads, sandwiches, by itself – it’s just so versatile.
I’m so thrilled to have the good fortune to have access to all this wonderful food and I don’t take that lightly. Be on the lookout for a round up of summer desserts soon so you can figure out what to do with all those berries and peaches you have!
What’s your favorite summer fruit?