I’m really lucky in that not only do we have a great Saturday farmers market by our house, but I also have a Tuesday market right across the street from my office. In honor of both markets being open for the season, I decided to share five farmers market purchases for this week’s Friday Five. Don’t forget to check out Cynthia and Mar and some of the other folks who link up with us – and please don’t forget to link to your hosts if you are participating!
- Asparagus. Asparagus is in season right now so it been buying it like crazy. I’m tasking my husband with grilling it in bunches so we can use it for a side, in salads, stir fry dishes, etc.
- Strawberries. I haven’t seen strawberries at my Saturday market yet, but I’m hopeful they’ll be there soon – and also hoping to find some at my Tuesday market. Strawberry season is just starting and I don’t want to miss it. I also really like going berry picking – although when I went last summer, I ended up with a weird rash – so this year I’ll wear pants!
- Herbs. I’m not a natural green thumb but I’m going to try basil and maybe rosemary and thyme – depending on what’s available. I have a couple pots on our back (tiny) patio stairs that I will put these in – they get plenty of sunshine and I’m hoping they’ll grow well.
- Fresh bread. Both my markets have great bread choices and it’s so much tastier than what you find in stores. It also typically doesn’t have preservatives so that means I have to eat lots of bread quickly. Oh darn.
- Flowers. Last weekend I bought a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers to give to my mom for Mother’s Day. I find that bouquets from the markets are typically more interesting than what I can find in store and I also just like telling my mom that the flowers are super super fresh.
Do you regularly visit a farmer’s market? If so, what do you like to purchase while there?