I admit I’m not a huge podcast listener but I do often enjoy having something entertaining or informative to listen to while I commute or travel. In that vein, here are five of my favorite podcasts that you might also enjoy.
- Serial (first season). The first season of the Serial podcast is the very first podcast that I listened to. In case you live under a rock (joking, but Serial got ridiculous press), Serial tells the true crime story of a young woman found murdered during her senior year of high school back in 1999. Her ex-boyfriend was arrested, charged and later found guilty of the crime but has always maintained his innocence. This was addictive and really drew me in. I actually saved the last episode to listen to while running the NCR Marathon – it was that good!
- S-Town. This is by the Serial / This American Life folks and it tells the story of a man named John who contacted a This American Life producer because he wanted him to investigate a murder in his small town in Alabama. I was fascinated by the story and especially because I lived in Alabama for much of my life. I can’t say much more without giving away major plot points but this is incredibly intriguing.
- This American Life. This American Life finds interesting, complex stories, people and things and shares them in a way that just makes me hungry for more. I love to learn and each episode of This American Life is a wonderful learning opportunity. If you haven’t checked it out, I guarantee you’ll find some episode that you connect with.
- 2 Dope Queens. Okay, so Jessica Williams and Phoebe Robinson are HI-LAR-IOUS. They talk about any and everything, from hair to race, sex, living in New York and all things in between. Be careful what you are eating or drinking while listening. You’ve been warned.
- Run, Selfie, Repeat. Kelly Roberts hosts this podcasts where she talks about running, life, and the all the intersections between the two. She’s raw and honest and I love listening to her muddle through whatever she is currently ruminating over on that particular day.
So there you have it – my five favorite podcasts.
Do you listen to podcasts? Any other good ones I should check out?