Here we are again with another Friday Five. This week we are talking about five race day surprises. I expect there will be a lot of creative takes on the theme! I kept it pretty simple mostly because I had a hard time with this one! Per usual, I’m linking up with my girls Cynthia and Mar for the #Friday Five. You can read our linkup rules here. Please, please, please follow the rules! Note that if you don’t play nicely, we will delete your link. Have a wonderful weekend!
- Weather. Ah yes. Too hot? Been there too many times to count. Too cold? Hello, Marine Corps 17.75k. Just perfect? Ah, the sweet spot. That’s always a pleasant surprise.
- Unexpected PR. This doesn’t happen that much, but when it does (like when I ran this 10k), it’s the best! Another fun unexpected PR happened at last year’s Fit Foodie 5k. That was definitely due to me chasing my faster friends. Pace bunnies for the win!
- Friends. I’m a big fan of meeting people at races. Usually I plan for it, but in the last few local races I’ve run, I’ve had folks who read the blog introduce themselves. That is always a fun surprise. Please do say hi if you ever see me out on the run!
- Tummy issues. Meh. Not the best – in fact, kind of the worst surprise ever. I won’t go into detail but let’s just say that spending time figuring out what you can and can NOT eat on the run is valuable time spent.
- Swag. I’ve talked about some of my favorite race swag recently, but sometimes races will have a surprise finisher’s item and that is always fun!
Tell me about your race day surprises – the good and the bad!