Happy Friday! We are deep into both winter and cold & flu season so I thought I’d take this Free Friday (read our new Friday Five format here!) to share five tips to stay healthy during cold season. As always, I’m co-hosting this linkup with my friends Mar and Cynthia. Don’t forget to link up to us in your posts if you join in the fun! I hope that these tips and helpful and more than that, I hope we all steer clear of sickness during this cold season! Have a great weekend – potential record setting snow (read: a blizzard) is predicted here in DC and I can’t decide if that excites me or not!
- Wash your hands! This is probably the most important thing you can do to stay healthy year around, but ESPECIALLY during cold and flu season. Warm water, soap, get in there. I like to wash my hands first thing when I come into the house to make sure I’m not spreading germs around. Yuck.
- Keep up with your exercise! Yes, it’s cold. But hibernating during the cold months can backfire on you. Besides, you love to run/do yoga/bike/whatever you’re into. Right? Right!
- Know if the flu breaks out in your area! Chloraseptic® is helping to keep you ahead of the flu this season with their online Cold + Flu tracker. To check for outbreaks and symptoms in your area, go here, click on Cold + Flu Tracker and enter your zip code. I’m almost scared to know, but I figure it’s best to be aware, right?
- Keep drinking fluids. Staying hydrated can really help keep you healthy. Sometimes it’s easy to forget this when you are sweating it out like we do in the summer, but it’s still so important! I drink a cup of tea every morning and always have water easily available.
- Get enough rest! Don’t make it easy for a cold to take you down. Make sure you are getting the rest your body so desperately needs. I’m speaking to myself here because I have not been sleeping well lately and I know it’s going to catch up to me soon, so I’m making this a priority.
If you do get sick…you have some options. First, talk to your pharmacist about how to manage your symptoms with medications. Before cold season (AKA now!), stock your medicine cabinet with the essentials. Stick to single ingredient products, so you have you what you need to treat your specific symptoms. These include pain relievers and fever reducers, a decongestant, cough medicine, lozenges and a sore throat spray. Topical medications, like Chloraseptic® sore throat sprays and lozenges are great to have on hand because they are portable, can be used safely with other cold medicines, and have very few side effects. In fact, Chloraseptic® has a great new (sugar free!) cherry flavor that is the #1 pharmacist recommended brand for sore throat liquids/sprays and is perfect to offer you targeted relief. Now don’t go head out in the blizzard, you DC folks, but for the rest of you, you can pick up your own Chloraseptic® spray at a discount! Use this coupon and save big!
You don’t have to be down and out during cold season. Follow these tips and stay healthy!!
How do you stay healthy during cold season?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.