Hope you had a great week and are looking forward to a long weekend! This week, I’m gearing up for my first marathon in Richmond next weekend. As I prepare, I thought about all the things I need to remember before hitting the road next week. Thus, this week my Friday Five is race on the road themed! Enjoy!
Five things that are MUST haves for running races that are out of town (besides running shoes!):
- An idea of what the course terrain is like. I wrote about a month ago of the super hilly half marathon I ran with my bestie in North Carolina. While she had filmed the course, I never asked to see the video. I wish I had so that I could’ve been mentally prepared for this:
- A plan for where exactly you will secure post race necessities: ice, wine, carbs. These things matter and after a race, you don’t want to have to stumble around figuring out where to get them!
- Compression socks. My last out of town race involved a 4 hour car ride home that turned into a 6 hour car ride. And I had forgotten my compression socks. Total fail. Trust that those bad boys will be one of the first things to go in my bag as I’m packing for Richmond!
- Your preferred fuel for both before and during the race. You will probably remember to bring your shot bloks or gu or whatever else you like to munch on during a race. But don’t forget to bring the breakfast you’ve trained yourself to eat before the race starts. You don’t want to be forced to eat hotel food only to find yourself in the bathroom during the race. Ugh.
- A change of clothes for the bag you will check at the race. If you are like me, I’m used to running a race here in DC and then going immediately to brunch or home. So I pretty much never check a bag and never bring clothes to a race. Out of town, this might be different. Plan ahead and bring a shirt and some comfy shoes or flip flops. Trust me, you’ll be happy you did.
What’d I miss (outside of the obvious shoes, bib, etc)? What are your race essentials for out of town races? And…don’t forget to linkup!