Happy Friday, y’all! I’m so excited about this week’s Friday Five. We are talking about your favorite fuel for running or any other fitness activity. I’m figuring out my fueling for the marathon and so this topic was very timely for me. I’ve linked to specific brands that I use and encourage you to spend some time figuring out your fueling strategy BEFORE a race (note: this post does contain affiliate links but per usual, only for things I already use and buy!). Trust me, it’s no fun having to spend a race in a port-a-potty. #RealTalk. 🙂 Per usual, I’m linking up with my girls Cynthia and Mar for the #Friday Five. You can read our linkup rules here. Please note that if you don’t play nicely, we will delete your link. Have a great weekend!
- Clif Shot Bloks. These have been my goal to fuel for awhile. I can’t tolerate gu (yuck. I’m sorry, I’m just can’t get down with it.) and these shot bloks do the trick. However, I’ve found that I have a limit — if I’m running say, a marathon, I can’t do 26.2 miles of shot bloks. I have to switch out and have some actual real food. I am writing a blog post to dig deeper in this, but for now I’ll say that for races that have me running for 2 hours or less, Shot Bloks are my go to. Plus, they taste GOOD!
- Peanut butter. It’s messy but sometimes I’ll put a little bit in a baggy and eat it when I’m really feeling blah on a run. I am so sad for people who are allergic to nuts because peanut butter is like magic. Seriously.
- Apples. I’ve been experimenting with eating apple slices during long runs and so far, so good. I was a bit concerned because of the fiber…but it hasn’t been a problem so far!
- Powerbar Performance Energy Blends. This stuff is DELICIOUS and easy to eat on the run. It doesn’t have a lot of crap in it, which I appreciate. And it’s delicious. I know, I just said that but it’s true.
- Granola bars. Usually Kind bars, but other brands have worked for me in a pinch. I haven’t done this many times, but I’m thinking of trying it out over my next couple long runs to decide if I want to try it in the marathon. I’d just eat a tiny piece. I think it could great at mile 20.
So there’s my list. What do you eat during the run? Like I said, I’ll be writing more about this soon, so if you have any questions, let me know!