Happy Friday, y’all! As always, I’m linking up with Mar and Cynthia and today we’re sharing Five Reasons to ______. As I’ve mentioned before, I now run primarily without music. I touched on it a bit before but I thought my list would be Five Reasons to Run without Music. Enjoy and make sure to link up your Friday Five post. You can read our linkup rules here. Please note that if you don’t play nicely, we will delete your link.
- I can hear my Garmin beep! When I was running with music, I never noticed my mile splits because I couldn’t hear the beep. Not a problem any more! Not that I always make a concerted effort to check my splits, but I have a really hard time running by feel, so viewing my splits help keep me honest during my runs.
- I can hear my breathing. I actually have mixed feelings about this because I am a terrible breather when I run (if that makes any sense) and don’t necessarily like hearing myself breathe, but it does help me to gauge how hard I’m working. If I am grasping for air, something is wrong and I should slow down. Or it’s just my reaction to the insane amount of pollen in the air. Either way, tuning that out deprives me of more information about my run.
- I can hear people cheering for me in races! So many races now include your name on your race bib and being cheered for by name is awesome. If you are listening to music (even if it’s low), people are less likely to cheer you on by name because they assume you can’t hear them. I LOVE being cheered for by name and not having headphones in helps encourage that!
- Turns out that I really like chatting with running buddies while running. My girl Julie and I are still getting used to chatting at our new faster paces (thanks, Pure Barre!) but I love our runs because we catch up then. It makes the time go by and usually if one of us isn’t feeling it, the other can subtly push them. Except for that one STRUGGLE run we had a couple weekends ago, haha. But even then I was glad to not be struggling alone!
- I am safer when I’m not listening to music. Not only can I hear people and traffic much better but because I don’t look distracted, I like to think that people are less likely to mess with me. Because I am runner hear me roar! Or something like that 🙂
Have I convinced you to give music free running a try?? 🙂