It’s Friday! I hope you’ll link up with Mar, Cynthia and I today. Since it looks like the cold weather isn’t going anywhere for quite awhile, I thought today I’d share five tips to help you get out of a winter running rut! Please chime in with any tips of your own 🙂
- Find a running buddy! This is my top recommendation for a reason – having someone else to commiserate with on cold runs makes all the difference! Sadly, my BRF just got sidelined with an injury. I will miss her dearly and be eagerly awaiting her return to running in a month!
- Switch it up – sometimes you just need a break from running in the cold. I’ve been giving myself permission to skip the outdoor track and do those workouts on a treadmill instead if I just wasn’t up to it. I’ve still done all my long runs outside and while I
hatedon’t love the treadmill, it can be a relief to run someplace I am warm!
- Find a new route. Running your same old tired route day after day in the cold can get old quickly. Go explore a new trail or a new neighborhood. You could end up discovering views like this:
- Join a running club or training team! I talked about why I joined a marathon training team this time around and many times this winter, I’ve remarked that it was the single best thing I’ve done in terms of training. Having a group to run with and to motivate you really can not be beat. There is simply no way I would’ve gotten up for all those Saturday morning long runs without my training group!
- Treat yo’ self! I am a strong believer in rewarding yourself for doing something challenging. Usually my favorite post run “treat” involves bacon then a nap…but do you. Whether it’s new gear, a slice (or two) of pizza, or a glass of wine – you deserve it! Giving yourself something to look forward to can motivate you to run!
What are your tips to get out of a winter running rut?
Next week, we are linking up again and talking about LOVE! I’ll be sharing 5 ways to show love to your runner but any and all things LOVE are welcomed 🙂