It is the first week of 2016, which means gyms, fitness studios and the streets are filled with new athletes. Last night, my Pure Barre class was absolutely packed. And I loved it. Yes, I said it. I love all the new folks. I love seeing the streets crowded with people running. I love having to get to my favorite Pure Barre class early because it is packed out. I love it all. I didn’t use to feel this way. I used to hate on the gym newbie just like everyone else. But my perspective has changed and so should yours if you are still a gym newbie hater. Read on for my letter to the gym newbie.
Dear gym newbie:
- First of all, welcome. You’ve decided to do something new for yourself and that is awesome! January is a great time to start getting healthy. It takes a lot of heart to start something new, so kudos to you!
- Set some goals. Like most new things, you might find that it’s tough for you to get used to the gym / Pure Barre / running / etc. Set some goals for this month. If you’re looking for some help in that area, check out my goal setting for 2016 post here and join in!
- Don’t go it alone! Bring a friend with you – it’s much easier that way and less intimidating if you have a buddy. If you can’t bring a friend, then make a friend. Despite all our gripping, us regulars are really nice and we’re happy you are here. I personally, love meeting new runners or Pure Barre folks. Basically just by saying “I’m new,” I’ll do anything I can to help you.
- If you are new to a studio (like, say, Pure Barre), show up a bit early. Not just for your first class but for each class. I find that I often spend the few minutes before class chatting with other folks who are also there early. That’s how community is built and developing relationships with others at your gym or studio will do a lot to keep you coming back!
- Those of us who have been at it for awhile sometimes forget how it felt to be the new one, so please be patient with us if we seem irritated at our fuller than normal classes. We forget how confusing that first Pure Barre class can be, but trust me, we too wondered “what the heck have I gotten myself into” more than once! So, settle in, enjoy and we sure hope you’ll stick around for awhile. You’re worth it.
What would you tell a gym newbie?
In the spirit of helping new (or veteran) runners, I’m excited to announce I’m a Zooma race ambassador this year! AND that means y’all can benefit – use my code COURTNEY16 and save 10% off of ANY Zooma race! I love this race series and am so excited to partner with them. Feel free to share the code with your friends and family!