So, in case you missed it, last week I embarked on a three day juice cleanse. If you haven’t been following along, please read my recaps of day one and days two and three before reading this post. Now that I’m a few days past the cleanse, here are my thoughts:
I realized that I think about food probably more than the average person. While on the cleanse, I didn’t have the luxury of dreaming about my next meal because I knew my next meal would be coming out of a 16 oz bottle. I also realized that I don’t require nearly as much food as I think. Now to be fair, I definitely bagged my Friday morning run because I was concerned about my energy levels. But I did work out Wednesday and Thursday (more on this below). Bottom line: I didn’t starve, wasn’t miserable and would do it again.
I also received some awesome questions on the cleanse that I’m going to answer here:
- Did you get the nutrients you needed? Yes. You can read all the ingredients for each juice here, but you will see that they are rich in protein and vitamins. I never felt like I was missing key nutrients and if you look at what is in each juice, that makes sense.
- How did you feel once you finished? Honestly, the cleanse ended a very busy week for me, so I felt tired. I did not feel like I was crazy hungry though. Just like I’d had a long day (which I’d had – I was at a conference until after 11pm).
- How did you feel the next day? I felt great. I actually broke my juice fast with salad and bread about 11pm Friday night. I didn’t have any negative reactions introducing solid food back in to my diet. I felt less hungry than I normally do the next morning and actually ate a good bit less than a typical Saturday. I would say I am now back to eating roughly the same amount of food I did pre-cleanse — just less sweets — I don’t have a craving for candy (more on this below).
- How did it feel to eat real food again? Um. It felt good. Real good, LOL 🙂
- Does it really help with cravings? Yes! I had been in a bad spot with eating sweets way too often. Those cravings are GONE! Grapes are the sweetest thing I’ve had post cleanse. I even threw out a bunch of candy that was laying around the house. Success!
- Did you work out while on the cleanse? Yes. I actually worked out twice on day one of the cleanse. I ran and went to barre class. On day two, I went to barre class. On day three, I skipped my workout because I knew I’d be up late at the conference and running around a bunch and I wanted to have a ton of energy. Had I not been serving at my women’s conference, I would’ve ran. I don’t think I would push it in workouts while on a cleanse simply because the calorie intake is less than I’m used to (around 1200) but you don’t have to quit working out.
Are you in the DC area and want to try out a cleanse for yourself? You’re in luck! The awesome folks at South Block Juice Co will be giving one of my (local) readers their very own FREE cleanse! All you have to do is email firstname.lastname@example.org with “EAT PRAY RUN DC” in the subject line. One reader will be randomly chosen to win!
Other questions for me? Leave em in the comments!