I am not a big fan of salad for dinner. It feels too dainty, too tiny and not nearly filling enough for me to just eat a salad for dinner. What I am a fan of, however, is a combo meal. Say, for example, soup + a salad. Now that sounds like dinner to me. So with that I decided to make my old faithful lentil soup (minus the sausage this time) along with a new recipe, kale buttermilk chicken caesar salad. The recipe came from the cooking channel website and it was super easy to put together.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces whole-wheat bread, torn into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (about 1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons
reduced-fat sour creamI used greek yogurt in place of sour cream
- 1 lemon, 1/2 juiced (1 tablespoon juice) and 1/2 cut into 4 wedges
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces cooked shredded chicken (I shredded my own chicken, using the Crockpot)
- 1 large bunch kale (about 1 pound), stems discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet set over medium heat.
- Add the bread pieces and cook, stirring, until lightly golden and a bit crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool in the skillet. They will continue to crisp up as they cool.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, the yogurt, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl and until smooth. Season with pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Toss together the chicken, kale and croutons with the dressing in a large bowl until well coated. Divide among 4 plates, sprinkle evenly with the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan and serve with a lemon wedge.
This was so easy and extremely tasty. I love caesar salads, but sometimes the dressing can be thick for me. I prefer a lighter, fresher taste on my greens and this dressing was perfect. I will be eating leftovers for Monday’s lunch and I highly encourage you to try it out!