Happy Friday! Remember that Mar, Cynthia and I have switched up our Friday Five topic format – check it out here. This week is the third week and so we’re talking about our favorite ____ fill in the blank! This week I was thinking about how much I love living in Washington DC and so I thought I’d share my five favorite things about living in the Nation’s Capital.
First of all, I want to clarify. Lots of people say they live in DC but they actually live in say…Falls Church. Now Falls Church is a nice place. I’ve been and it’s quite cute. But…as you can see on the map below, Falls Church (or Bethesda or even Arlington) is NOT Washington DC. I know people say they live in DC because they worry people won’t recognize their suburban town right outside of DC and I get that. But know that when I talk about living in Washington DC, I actually live in Washington DC.
Okay, now that we’ve established that I actually live in the District of Columbia, here’s my list of my favorite things about being blessed to live here:
- Amazing things happen here everyday. I will never tire of having the ability to literally walk to the Capitol, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress and so much more. It’s an incredible thing to be in a place where history is made. For better or worse, I love being in a place where important things happen.
- So much free fun! All the Smithsonian museums are FREE. Visiting all the amazing National Monuments is FREE. People travel from across the world to see all the things that are in my own backyard. I don’t take that for granted.
- I mentioned the amazing things that happen everyday. Well, I’m really fortunate because sometimes I get to actually see some of those amazing things with my own two eyes. I don’t think I mentioned this on the blog, but I had a chance to go to one of the White House Holiday Parties last month and it was just as amazing as you’d imagine.
- Incredible places to run. And not just the National Mall. DC is full of interesting routes, trails and scenic places to get the miles in. I’m very appreciate of the diversity in running routes that we have here!
- Excellent restaurants. I like to eat. A lot. Having great restaurants is something that is important to me and I appreciate that DC has no shortage of awesome restaurants to try out. A couple places I’ve been to lately that have been delicious: Bourbon Steak – went here for birthday dinner with the hubs and my parents. It was incredible. Too fancy for everyday but so yummy! I’ve been super obsessed with the tomato soup at Ted’s Bulletin lately. It’s excellent and I am still trying to replicate it at home. No success yet, so I just keep going back.
What about your city makes you excited to live there?