Today is National Running Day. We’re actually taking a couple of liberties with this and focusing on National Running Day this Friday for the Friday Five so I’m not going to get too much into the day today. BUT. I couldn’t let National Running Day go by without taking a minute and sharing a few things I love about running.
- No two runs are ever the same. This is the best and sometimes the most frustrating thing about running. Having a great run yesterday means nothing for today’s run. But the positive side is that having a crappy run one day doesn’t mean you are destined to have a bad run the next time around. Even running the same route, there are always things that are different and often its those things (people, something happening in the city, a gorgeous spring day, a humidity level below 75%, you name it) that make the run great.
- Best way to see a new city. I love running while traveling and exploring wherever I happen to be. It’s just the best way to get acclimated to a new place. Period!
- Easy transportation option. I do this more in the fall and winter, but sometimes it’s just really convenient to run to a meeting or to take care of errands. I mean, literally run there. It’s often faster than the DC Metro and easier than trying to find a place to park. I love doing this on cool days where I won’t get too sweaty and gross.
- Good to know that in a disaster you can get away if needed. I mean, real talk, right? I just like knowing that if something ever went down I could legitimately run for hours on end. Somehow that comforts me.
- Duh, it’s fun. This is kinda the number one reason but the others are important as well. 🙂
What do you love about running?