If you follow me on social media, you know that yesterday I began the first day of a three day juice cleanse. I’ve gotten a bunch of questions about the cleanse and of course, I was always planning on giving y’all the down low here on the blog! First, a quick note: my cleanse was provided courtesy of South Block Juice Company — but as always, you’ll only hear my real opinions and thoughts here. AND, an exciting note, South Block is going to be gifting one of my local readers with their own three day cleanse once I’m finished with mine! South Block Juice Company is an Arlington-based juicery and cafe — located just across the river from me in Clarendon. I was introduced to them at a blogger spin class held at Revolve last month and after getting a chance to sample a few of the juices, I thought I’d finally give a cleanse a try. Here’s a recap of day one — I kept notes most of the day, so this is pretty accurate in terms of what I was thinking throughout the day.
- Day one started with an early morning run with Julie. I ran 3.5 miles with an average pace of 9:24. My legs felt very tight and as soon as I woke up, I felt hungry. I knew it was just my mind because I’m used to not eating breakfast until I’m at work, but it still made me nervous.
- Juice 1 – cracked it open at 9:15am and drank it for about an hour — Juice 1 is called detox (cucumber, apple, kale, spinach, celery, parsley, lemon) – it tasted like cucumber and I thought it was not bad! It tasted as though it got sweeter as I drank it. I should say that the fact that it took me almost an hour to drink isn’t a reflection on the taste. I was busy talking with coworkers so it slowed down my juice drinking.
- So in what might have been a mistake, I decided to work out again and went to barre class at lunch with a colleague. Once I got there I was glad I went because my legs were tight. Of course that meant that post barre class I was HUNGRY!
- I got back to the office and quickly downed juice 2 at 1:20pm — juice 2 is called glow (pineapple, apple, fennel, aloe, lemon, mint) — I loved the sweet taste. had to stop myself from pounding it in one gulp! I could drink this juice every day all day – it was that good. Definitely my favorite of the group.
- At this point, I was still hungry. Because I’m a genius who works out twice in one day while on day one of a juice cleanse. So I cracked open juice 3 at about 3pm. Juice 3 was…bitter, and definitely my least favorite. It did make me feel full (a bonus) — juice 3 was called greens (cucumber, celery, kale, spinach, parsley, fennel, lemon, mint) and it tasted just like it sounded. It wasn’t that it was bad, it just wasn’t good. However, like I noted, I wasn’t hungry after I finished that bad boy. I read on another blog that drinking using a straw helped, so I drank everything with a straw. Not sure if it made juice 3 more bearable but I was able to down it in about 30 min.
- I drink juice number 4 at 5pm before leaving work. I thought it was yummy with a little kick! Juice number 4 is called the cure (pineapple, carrot, lemon, cayenne, turmeric, ginger).
- At this point I felt pretty good. I had energy, I was a little hungry but I honestly think that was mental. I got home, walked the dog and got ready to volunteer. I brought juice number 5 with me to volunteer and had it for dinner while all my youth made yucky faces at me :). I cracked open juice 5 at 7pm and drank it over the course of 1.5 hours because I was busy with the youth and I honestly wasn’t that hungry. Juice 5 is called renew (carrot, apple, beet, kale, lemon and ginger).
- Finally, I headed home and cracked open juice 6 at about 9:45. Juice 6 is caveman mylk (cashews, water, vanilla, cinnamon, dates and pink himalalyan sea salt) and was the perfect juice before bed. It honestly tasted like drinking a glass of almond milk – yummy!!
So, at the end of day one, how did I feel? Honestly? I felt pretty great. I did have a few hungry points during the day but nothing crazy and I had enough energy to get me through my day (including two workouts!).
Stay tuned for days two and three of my cleanse! Weigh in and share your cleanse experiences!