Did you not make it into the Cherry Blossom lottery? Are you interested in running ten miles for CHEAP? AND then eating some crabs at a crab festival? Yeah, I know, that sounds pretty awesome to me too. So when the St. Charles Running Festival asked me to share a few facts with y’all about the race, I was in! In fact, were I not running Cherry Blossom, I’d head down to Southern Maryland to run the 6th Annual race.
- The race is put on by DC Road Runners. So you know it will be well run and pretty awesome. I’m a big fan of DC Road Runners and so glad I joined the group! Remember when I volunteered for a DC Road Runners race? Yeah, that was fun!
- Did I mention it’s only $35 (for a ten miler!) until March 11? That is such a crazy deal – I’m all about cheap races.
- The race benefits the UM Charles Regional Hospital. You can run for the cheap and feel good knowing you are supporting a great organization.
- There’s a kids race that is a total steal…kids get to run ON the baseball field, get a t-shirt, a chick fil a kids meal and two tickets to a baseball game to be used any time over the 2015 season.
- The whole day will be fun because the race coincides with the Blue Crab Fun Fest – an all day community event with things for kids, a charity softball game, beer and snacks! Hello! This is my kind of day!!
- Don’t want to run a ten miler? There’s a 5k too! Although honestly, the 5k is only ten dollars less than the ten miler. If it were me, I’d just do the ten miler. But you know, just my opinion!
- The start time is a reasonable 8:45am. This means that you don’t have to wake up at 5am. Holla to sleeping in!
- The race is small enough that you could place in your age group. Go look at last year’s results. If I’d ran this race last year, I would’ve been 3rd or 4th in my age group, which pretty much never happens because I run lots of larger races with speedy folks (and marathons and I will probably NEVER place in a marathon). I clearly don’t really care about age group placements and stuff, but if you do, this could be a good race for that!
- Parking and real bathrooms. Do I have to say more?
- A fun, easy day trip from DC. Southern Maryland is only about 35 minutes or so from where I live in Capitol Hill – this is far enough away where I would definitely be exploring a new area but no need for a hotel or an epic road trip. Just a fun race!
Are you racing the weekend of April 10th? Cherry Blossom, St. Charles Running Festival or something else?