This week’s Friday Five theme is a reader suggestion and I’m really excited about it. We are sharing five things that were going on in our lives ten years ago. I love traveling down memory lane, so this was a happy one to write. Per usual, I’m linking up with my girls Cynthia and Mar for the #Friday Five. You can read our linkup rules here. Please, please, please follow the rules! Note that if you don’t play nicely, we will delete your link.
So…ten years ago I was in law school. That’s pretty crazy to think about because law school feels simultaneously like it was just yesterday and like it was forever ago. Law school was such a fun period of my life. It was, of course, a ton of work. Learning to think like a lawyer was not easy but I enjoyed most of my classes and really feel like I learned so much (even now as a non-practicing attorney, I use knowledge from law school daily). But, by far, one of the best things that came out of law school was the relationships I made (both with my colleagues and also with some law school staff). So ten years ago…
- I was living in Charlottesville, Virginia. I went to UVA Law (go hoos!) and so had the chance to spend three fun years in what is now one of my favorite places to visit. Charlottesville is affordable, cute, and there is a lot to do. There’s great restaurant options and more wineries in a thirty minute radius than you can explore in a year. It’s a beautiful place and I loved living there.
- My priorities were so different. I was all about school and fun with my friends. That was pretty much all I cared about – I had very few responsibilities. It was a pretty carefree period of my life (outside of school, of course).
- I spent summers working in Birmingham, Alabama. In fact, ten years ago exactly, I was living in Birmingham working as a summer associate at a law firm. Also known as the cushiest job in the world. For real.
- I dressed up (not formally, but in costumes) for parties. A.lot. At UVA Law, there is a whole month of themed parties each February. It’s called Feb Club and the perfect thing to get you through a grey, dark month. By the time I graduated law school, I had a whole bin full of random costumes. Most of which, I’ve sadly parted with because I just don’t have an opportunity to dress up in a jungle-ish toga often. Sadly.
- While I knew I wanted to be a lawyer, I had no clue about what I actually wanted to do. I’m so lucky that my career has taken a few different turns because now I’m exactly where I want to be. I couldn’t have imagined it ten years ago, but that’s part of the fun, right?
Ten years ago, many things in my life were different, but luckily, most of the wonderful friends I had then are still wonderful friends today.
What were you up to ten years ago?