this posted is sponsored by MinuteClinic but all thoughts are my own.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year…flowers are blooming, the sun is shining and allergies are looming. Oh, that’s not how the song goes? Well, spring is in the air and for some of us (hand raised), that also means allergies are in full force. I wanted to share a few strategies and tips for keeping spring allergies at bay. I have an odd relationship with allergies. It seems I have terrible symptoms every other year and light symptoms on those in between years. Last year was a terrible year and this year seems mild (so far and fingers crossed). I hope some of my tips for keeping spring allergies at bay are helpful if you are one of the 50 million Americans who suffer from seasonal allergies.
First things first, how do you know if it’s allergies or a cold? A few differences:
- A cold is caused by a virus and allergies are your body’s immune system attempting to fight off an allergen.
- Have a cough or are achy? Probably a cold, not allergies.
- Itchy, red eyes? Probably allergies and not a cold.
- Do you have sniffling and coughing that tend to occur the same time each year (or every other year in my case)? Allergies, most likely.
Now, that you can tell the difference, how do you combat those spring allergies?
- Before you come inside your house, shake that pollen off your clothes!
- Shower and put on clean clothes before getting in your bed each evening (this is a MUST for me during allergy season. If I don’t, I’ll wake up in the middle of the night unable to breathe).
- Don’t allow kids / pets in your bed during allergy season. I hate this rule but it’s a MUST.
- Visit MinuteClinic for the allergy relief you need!
- Wear sunglasses! Not only will you look all fancy, but this helps keep pollen out of your eyes. Total win.
- In addition to wearing clean clothes to bed, make sure you are changing your sheets regularly.
Did you know that MinuteClinic’s are now in Target? Win win! Do you suffer from allergies?