I recently returned from my fifth running camp sponsored by my favorite running apparel company, Oiselle. This year’s camp was up in northern PA, at Camp IHC and it was spectacular. It’s impossible to encapsulate the entire experience so I decided to make a top ten list. Here are my top ten big bird camp memories – you can search #bigbirdcamp for lots more pictures of the incredible weekend.
- Sharing a cabin with incredible women. We were all housed in cabins with 7-8 other women, in true summer camp style. I had smart, interesting and kind women in cabin from all across the country. I enjoyed getting to know them and would 100% have the same exact cabin next year!
- Track with legend Lauren Fleshman and Kendra Chambers. Oh man. This was so unique – we started with warm ups and drills – about 30 minutes worth. Honestly, it felt like we could’ve been done after the drills, hahaha. Then came the actual workout. We had two different sets of intervals and it was tough and amazing. In the second set, I saw paces in the high 6:xxs, which was incredible.
- The lake. Ahhhh, the lake. It was so freaking lovely and I had such fun just lounging in that water. There were floaties and a huge slide and a trampoline. It was the best way to end a long run and I really enjoyed it. So relaxing!
- Camp songs. Did ya know that Lauren sings? You might have if you are a fan of hers. Well, she does and it’s awesome. She wrote a camp song for us and it was fantastic and really set the weekend off on the right foot. I’d sing it for ya…but trust me, you don’t want that.
- Hills, hills, hills. Ah man. Our long run was through the hills of PA. And it was a beast. I swear I was sore from those hills for DAYS. Trust me, when I saw that Northern PA don’t play. Loved it though!
- Wearing my sunglasses at night. We had an EPIC dance party that involved us all wearing our sweet new Goodr sunglasses so of course that was the theme. And when I say EPIC…I mean that the next morning I remembered nothing and regretted none of it. 🙂
- Catching up with SO many old friends. Enough said.
- #OiselleWomenofColor. Ahhhh. If you are a regular reader, you know one thing I care greatly about is diversity and inclusion. I had a vision of taking a picture with all the women of color at camp and it came true better than I had anticipated.
- Meeting new friends IRL. Enough said.
- Checking out from the news cycle for the weekend. Ahem. ENOUGH SAID.
Camp was nothing short of amazing – and a total bonus was I drove their (carpool with my girls), parked my car and didn’t drive again for days. The joy!!! That being said – if you are in DC, I want to remind you that DC Car Free day is Friday, September 21 and/or Saturday, September 22 and you can sign up here. And bonus – when you sign up you GET $3 OFF AT DISTRICT TACO! Yes, that statement deserves all caps. If you have been to District Taco – you know what I’m saying. I freaking love that place. So DC folks – go, sign up – no one drives to work here anyway. 🙂
Have you ever been to a running camp? Did you love it as much as I did? Are you signing up for Car Free Day? Duh, why not?!
this post is sponsored but all thoughts are (ALWAYS) mine.