I love reading blogs. Fitness blogs, mostly and blogs about blogging as well. I also have a few blogs that I love to read because the writer is a friend and I’d read almost anything they write. Point being, I read a lot of blogs. Not quite as many as I’d like to have time to read but I do read a number of them. But sometimes I stop reading a particular blog. Sometimes it’s because I’m just too busy. But other times I stop reading a blog because I’m annoyed. It doesn’t happen much, but it does happen. Read on for a few reasons why I stopped reading your blog (obviously not YOU because I love your blog :)).
- You never post regularly. If I visit your blog a few times over the course of a couple weeks and you haven’t posted anything, I’m peacing out. If you can’t be bothered to post (I get it, life happens), then I won’t be bothered to visit (because, life happens to me as well).
- Every post is sponsored. I have nothing against sponsored posts. I write them. I read them. I get that they bring money in – trust me, I get that. But if every other post is sponsored, then I am not actually ever getting enough from you to trust you enough to take your recommendations seriously. I actually really value sponsored posts from bloggers whose opinions I trust. But that trust is built up over time and through posts that aren’t sponsored. If I don’t get that from you, and all you post is sponsored, then I’m out.
- You curse like a sailor. Freedom of speech is awesome. Dropping the occasional four letter word does not bother me in the least. But if every other word you write would require you to be censored on ABC, then I’ll probably clicking “X” and not coming back. I am not judging – but I simply don’t need to read foul language all the time. Honestly, I drop enough four letter words during my tempo runs that I’m set for the week after each one. 🙂
- You never respond to comments. Again, responding to comments is hard. I know. I often am choosing between responding to comments and visiting a blog and commenting there. Usually I’ll choose to visit another blog. But I do read every comment I get and I respond to most of them. Sometimes it’s days later, but I make an effort. If you NEVER (I mean literally here) respond to comments than I’m not going to continue reading your blog. A failure to respond consistently is just rude. And I’m not down with that.
- Your blog does weird things on my phone. I read many blogs on my phone while commuting. If your blog can’t be read easily on my phone, I’m probably going to stop reading it. My reasoning is that now it’s so easy to make sure your blog reads easily on mobile devices – if you don’t do that, than I can’t be bothered.
What makes you stop reading a blog??