This week’s new recipe is Pan Fried Cod! I made this on a limb last night when I was very tempted to order pizza in. It was relatively simple and came out great! I used cod bits from Trader Joes, which made the dredging process a tad bit longer, but gave me lots of tasty bites of deliciously pan fried cod. For the breadcrumbs, I used a mix of Italian and Panko because that’s what I had in my cupboard. I mixed in some of the rosemary lemon salt I had made in a previous recipe. Finally, I used my new stainless steel cookware (thanks Mom!) and it worked great, even standing up to the high heat of the oven portion of the cooking (500 degrees).
Check out the recipe and pcitures of the finished meal below.
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 (6 ounce) center cut cod fish fillets
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 500*F.
- Combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, salt and cayenne in a large sealable plastic bag and shake to mix.
- Season fish with salt and pepper on both sides and working with 1 piece at a time, put fish in bag and shake to coat well with crumbs.
- Dip fish in eggs, then shake in crumbs again to coat.
- Transfer to a plate
- Heat 3 TBs oil in a 23 inch heavy oven proof skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Fry fish until undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Turn over, add remaining 3 TBS oil, an cook one minute more.
- Put skillet in upper third of oven and bake until fish is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
courtesy of: Food.com
On the stove after cooking:
Another view from the stove top. Doesn’t that look yummy? It was!
And finally, on the plate:
Boyfriend gave this a resounding thumbs up and I really enjoyed it as well. So simple, relatively healthy (especially with the side of broccoli) and delicious. I highly recommend this instead of ordering out for pizza!