Can you believe it’s the last few days of May? I only believe it because of the crazy humid, warm weather we’ve been having here in DC. Since summer is on the horizon, I thought I’d take this free Friday and share five fun and free things to do in DC this summer. Even if you aren’t in DC, I hope this gives you a couple ideas of fun things that may be available for you to check out in your town this summer! Per usual, I’m linking up with my girls Cynthia and Mar for the #Friday Five. You can read our linkup rules here. Please note that if you don’t play nicely, we will delete your link.
- Outdoor movies. We are so lucky that in our area we can go watch a movie outside (with kids and pets welcome!) almost any night of the week. This week I went and watched Dirty Dancing under the stars and it was awesome. Nobody puts Baby in a corner, indeed. 🙂
- Outdoor concerts. Similarly, there are free concerts almost every night of the week. My favorite is on Friday evenings over in the Navy Yard area. We went two weeks ago and will be going again soon. Such fun to just sit out, with food and drinks and listen to the music as the sun sets.
- Outdoor workouts. Hopefully by now you are noticing a theme…get outside! There are a number of free workouts that you can find in the area just by searching for them. Here are links to a couple: free yoga and free bootcamp and yoga at yards park. There are also group runs, barre classes and so much more. So many opportunities to get out there!
- Festivals. I know, I know. Most festivals aren’t free. But there are a couple – including my favorite Truckeroo where a ton of food trucks gather selling their delicious food. I know. Not 100% free, but you don’t have to buy food – you can just go and hang out and play cornhole. 🙂 Another great free festival is the annual Smithsonian Folklife Festival – if you’ve never gone, I highly recommend it. This year the theme is Peru and I’m so excited to go and learn more about an area I’ve never travelled.
- POOL TIME. Need I say more? DC residents are able to swim for free in any DC public pool and that is a perfect gift in this gross weather!
Have you done any of these fun ideas yet? What’s your favorite free thing to do in your town during the summer?