Spring is officially here and while it might not feel like it, soon we will have access to so much great fresh and local produce that it’s almost embarrassing. I love shopping at my local farmers markets and I’m super excited about some of the things I’m going to make with all that fresh produce. Today I’m sharing five of those things since this week’s Friday Five is food and drink themed.. Don’t forget to check out Cynthia and Mar and some of the other folks who link up with us – and please don’t forget to link to your hosts if you are participating!
- Caprese salad. I love a good caprese salad but with fresh tomatoes from the farm? Oh my, yes. This is my favorite meal in the summer once tomatoes come in. It’s so easy and SO delicious. And it doesn’t require an oven. I hate using the oven in the summer. It just ain’t right!
- Dessert. I am a cook, not a baker and so I really only make dessert when fresh fruits are in season. I make an awesome cobbler – you can check out the recipe here.
- Grilled asparagus. Grilled everything, basically but I really love simple grilled asparagus. I even bought this grill tool that makes it easier to grill asparagus (and other fruits / veggies) without losing them between the grates.
- Grilled pizza. So I’ve never actually tried this but REALLY want to this spring /summer. Anyone have any tips or tricks I should know before giving this a shot?
- Spinach and strawberry salad. As you can see, I love simple things when the weather gets warm. Spinach, strawberries and a nice vinaigrette is the start of a great meal. Sometimes I’ll add a protein or some walnuts to the salad for crunch, sometimes not. Delicious either way!
What’s your favorite thing to make once the cold weather breaks?