For Super Bowl Sunday, I made “healthier” spinach and artichoke dip and “as healthy as I could make it” pepperoni pizza dip. I also toasted pitas to make whole wheat pita chips. I’m happy to report that both dishes were a total success! Sadly I only took a picture of the pepperoni pizza dip ingredients, so you can’t see the finished product, but it looked pretty much like the picture featured on the site where I found the recipe, except I let mine stay in the oven a bit longer so the cheese really started to brown, which I liked. I also altered the recipe to cut out some fat and calories and I think it tasted quite delicious. Below here is the original recipe and then you can see my modifications in blue. Thanks to Julie from Table for Two for the inspiration!
2 (8 oz.) packets of cream cheese, room temperature I used low fat / nonfat cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream I used greek yogurt instead
1 cup whole mozzarella cheese, shredded, plus more for topping I used low fat mozzarella cheese. Note that in the author’s post she swears that lowfat mozzarella cheese just doesn’t taste as good in this recipe. I decided to ignore that and go for it — I (and the friends who ate the dip) thought it was yummy and tasted very decadent with the lower fat cheese. The choice is yours!
1 cup pepperoni, sliced to half moons
1/4 cup chopped basil
2 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella, pepperoni, basil, and olive oil.
- Place mixture into a casserole dish and evenly smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
- Take extra mozzarella cheese and cover the top of the mixture. Then take whole pepperoni rounds and place them on top of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and cheese has melted.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips or sliced bread.
I also made healthy spinach and artichoke dip, as described by Monica of the Yummy Life. This recipe I followed almost exactly (I didn’t have red pepper flakes or a bell pepper. I also added a pinch of cayenne pepper). It was a huge hit and I will definitely be making it again. The cool thing about this is that I made it in my crock pot which made it super super easy.
- 2 (14 oz) cans artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 (8 oz) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened and cut in 1/2″ cubes
- 1 (8 oz) block fat-free cream cheese, softened and cut in 1/2″ cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Coat the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients. Stir to combine, cover and cook until heated through. 1-1/2 to 2 hours on high, 3 to 4 hours on low.
- That’s it! Serve with veggies, bread, pitas, etc.