A good friend of mine recently asked if I’d revisited my 30 before 30 list since turning 30. I was somewhat embarrassed to admit that I had not. Well, that changes today. For you newer blog readers, I initially started this blog to document 30 things I wanted to do before I turned 30. Here’s an update on what the list looks like today!
1. Jump out of a plane. Haven’t done this or planned it yet – my plan is to arrange this for when the weather gets warm.
2. Run a half marathon (a second one – I ran one during my last year of law school). This kinda cracks me up, since I’m now training for a marathon! And, since setting this goal, I’ve ran 2 half marathons, 2 ten milers, 3 10ks, and multiple 5ks.
3. Use my passport. No immediate plans with this one.
4. Take part in meaningful volunteer work. DONE! Read about my pro bono experiences here.
5. Find a new karaoke go to song – “Baby Got Back” is classic, but it’s time to expand my range. I’ve actually done a decent amount of karaoke lately and started to appreciate the value in switching it up.
6. Stick to a budget. Working on this one, but major improvements since I first set this goal.
7. Try one new restaurant a month. With all the new restaurants in my neighborhood and my work travel, this has been happening!
8. Make one new recipe a
month week. See my answer to the previous question. This has not been happening. I’ve been relying on old favorites and not making new things. I need to get back to it!
9. Take a surfing class. No, not yet.
10. Go skiing. Okay, I am committing to making this happen this winter!!
11. Road trip like I mean it. Numerous trips to VA Beach and Charlottesville. Plus a train ride to Boston — I’m counting it all 🙂
12. Start my own urban garden. I did this last summer but traveled too much this summer to keep it up. Check it out last summer’s bounty here.
13. Perfect my biscuit recipe. I make a pretty good biscuit if I can say so myself.
14. Cook a five course meal. Ha. Not yet. I’ve made multiple meals for folks but not done the full five courses.
15. Stay up and watch the sun rise. Well, I’m often up running before the sun rises – so I see the sunrise multiple times a week. Can’t believe I just typed that sentence — the me of 2 years ago would not believe it either!
16. Learn to change a tire. Yes, unintentionally!
17. Make something (a scarf, a shelf, etc.) and display it or give it as a gift.Yep. Remember that time I made a couch?! Check it!
18. See two great museums in NYC (I’ve been to NYC numerous times, but never done a major museum – I have no idea how that happened). I’m in New York all the time for work and still haven’t done this. So sad. Recommitting!
19. Clean my apartment at least once a week. This has been surprisingly easy. I usually clean up as I go, so scrubbing the bathroom / vacuuming and the like isn’t painful.
20. Take a trip with my mother. Not yet. Though I did plan a 60th birthday party for her (with my dad and sister of course). Does that count?
21. Live car free for a month. This was done unintentionally, but it was done!
22. Take a weekend trip – solo! Do my work trips count? If so, I’ve done this multiple times over.
23. Have a sleepover with my niece and nephew. We did this over Christmas but it wasn’t a real sleepover because there was a house full of people and we didn’t make popcorn and stay up all night. Last Christmas we were all in Disney World together so that kinda counted as well!
24. Find a church in DC. I have found a wonderful church in DC. Here is my post on this.
25. Send at least five hand written letters to friends/family. I’ve sent numerous cards so I’ll count them.
26. Write (creatively) every day for a month. I write for this blog almost everyday. Let’s consider this a win!
27. Have a housewarming/cocktail party! Oops.
28. Do a random, anonymous act of kindness for a stranger. Yes and I’m not blogging about it.
29. Try a new fitness activity. Barre class, what!
30. Plan an AWESOME 30th birthday party! My birthday was wonderful and I had numerous opportunities to share it with loved ones. A great time indeed!
Did you do a 30 before 30 (or a 35 before 35, etc)? If so, how many items did you complete? Are you still working on your list?